Thursday, April 19, 2012

TSA, Sheep in Wolves Clothing?


TSA is out of Control


I recently went on a trip to Boston to watch my wife run the Boston Marathon. We took a flight out of Bloomington to O’Hare and on to Logan international. This was accompanied by the usual pre flight routine of security checks and scanning. It was particularly nice when the TSA agent told me to remove my outer layer of clothes. I like to strip as much as the next guy, but something about a government agent telling me to do it just puts me off. Just today there was a man in Portland who stripped entirely naked to pass through the security checkpoint. The man was protesting the invasion of privacy by the TSA after they asked him to submit to a pat down. There have been other concerns about the TSA recently. They confiscated a cupcake in a jar from a lady because the icing was too much like a gel that could supposedly be used as an explosive.  The fourth amendment is supposed to protect citizens in their right to be secure in their persons and effects as well as limiting the government’s power to search. However, we are now entering an era where it is becoming acceptable for the government to force you to submit to a pat down or a body scan before you can travel. At what point does a pat down cross the line from an administrative search into the realm of invasion of privacy? I believe in the security at airports and I believe that they can keep me safe from terrorists. However, I also think that they have gone way too far in their regulations and in fact many of their regulations are pointless. For example, the 3oz requirement for liquids, I could take a while suitcase of liquids through the checkpoint as long as they are in 3oz containers. So how does this limit what I can take on the plane or make it safer in anyway? Then there is the remove the shoes requirement. The TSA already has metal detectors and x-ray machines. I don’t see how taking off your shoes is going to help stop a terrorist attack. It’s just like how schools suddenly needed to install metal detectors after columbine. The metal detectors would not have stopped columbine from happening and taking shoes off won’t stop a determined terrorist from taking out a plane. It seems to me that the TSA takes anecdotal cases and applies new rules after TSA has failed to detect a threat, for example the shoe bomber and the underwear bomber. The new technology that TSA is bringing to the screening process is also causing a big controversy. They are bringing full body 3D scans for people that are selected for further screening. This will supposedly reveal any “threat items” to the TSA agents at the security checkpoints but detractors say it will also reveal things like underwear style, nipples, and every contour of the human body to an unknown screener sitting behind a computer screen in another room. Many people are concerned that these revealing scans could wind up on the internet or being used for inappropriate purposes by TSA staff. Below is a picture of a scan that was posted on the TSA blog website of both male and female scans. Although the TSA claims that these are images provided to them by the manufacturer of the scanning machines many of the comments below the blog seem to suggest that these have been manipulated so that they seem less revealing.


                I appreciate what the TSA tries to do. But I also believe that at some point people are going to rebel against the oppressive nature of the security requirements we currently have. It’s a lot like the due process and crime control debate. The pendulum will swing from security to freedom and back again probably several times in my life. Right now because of the attacks of September 11th there is an increased focus on providing security. These policies and regulations that so many people find offensive or invasive will probably be ruled on in many court cases and legislative sessions until we are back towards the liberal side of the spectrum. Then another tragedy like 9/11 will happen and the government will again implement policies meant to keep us safe but really just providing a false sense of security. Should we submit to every requirement of the government in an effort to remain secure? Or should we refuse to comply with unreasonable requests? Many people think we are heading for a 1984 type scenario where the government controls every aspect of our lives, is this just the first step down that road? Or are these completely reasonable measures to take against the threat of a terrorist attack?

8 comments:

  1. Benjamin Franklin was quoted as saying: “Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.” Since the passing of the Patriot Act after 9/11 we are expected to give up some of our liberties and freedoms in the name of security, which practically makes us slaves to the state. In my opinion, the man in Portland was justified in his actions because the TSA, in recent years, has gone too far in some cases in the name of "security." A few years ago I read a story of an 80+ year old woman that was strip searched by TSA agents because of mere suspicion. An elderly woman presents very little danger to anyone and more than that, does not need to be subject to such searches; in my opinion that is degrading and completely unnecessary. I have flown many times since 9/11 and luckily I have not had such run-ins with TSA agents but I have no individuals who have been subject to these searches based on little to no suspicion, and it is my opinion that the TSA has gone too far and has been granted too much discretion and freedom to search whom they please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is completely ridiculous, and something really needs to be done about this. Ever since I have been in one of Dr. Gizzi's classes I have heard him argue about TSAs and the power they have been given and how they are abusing it. I believe that they have stepped over the boundaries of our fourth amendment rights and we are just letting this happen. There is a need for us to give up some of our freedoms in order for the government to protect us, it is a part of the social contract philosophy of government. Our government was set up so we would have protections against protocols like this, and we do need to fight for our rights. This is where concepts like reasonable suspicion and probable cause need to come into play. There should be variable levels that a TSA should go through before they even think about having the right to do strip searches and full body scans. I hate this notion that they feel they can do what they want with our personal liberties and our other rights as American citizens.

    Andrew Serena

    ReplyDelete
  3. When reading this I had mixed feelings...The thing that stuck out the most in this Blog that i did not like was the body x-ray machine. I think it is so disgusting that they make people go through that even though they can see all parts of your body. I feel as if that is very illegal. Something that I read but didnt really agree with is taking off your shoes. I do think there is a purpose for that because people can hide things in their shoes that a metal detector cannot find. Airports are always going to have security no matter what becasue we need it but i dont think they need to have scans that they can see the naked body!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Brittany. The article had me a little confused between safety and the right to privacy. The government already has too much control in my opinion but full body scans are a great way to double check safety standards with detail. At what point is American squeamishness over nudity and privacy crossing the line with governmental policies and Airlines ability to make traveling as uncomfortable as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seeing the state of the U.S. in terms of security now is a bit disappointing seeing as this nation is known for its freedoms compared to other countries. I feel like policies likes this hinder our freedoms. But at the same time I understand why and hope different strategies can be found to deal with this issue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I might not travel that must but my personal experiences with TSA have been fine. Maybe I'm not the typical standout but I do have to deal with something most do not. Every time i fly over a few state lines I have to check in to confirm that I'm not the Declan M O'Neill on the no fly list. Sort of a hassle but nothing im not used to by now. Back to TSA dealings, I dont really mind the lines and procedure. I arrive early and walk through with my head down and shoes off. It only seems when people are trying to make a statement that TSA provides the rings to jump through. I get what you are saying they have ramped up the security I am not behind X-ray scans that just seems like laziness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is unbelievable. I have flown several times and have been fortunate enough to not run into issues like this. It is crazy to see that people have the power to completely strip you down to clear you to fly. I want our skies to be safe and to keep Americans safe, but when is it going to be too much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think TSA has gone too far. My mother flies often, and by no means does she look like a terrorist. Regardless of her looks, TSA always seems to pick her out, and do their whole routine. I know they choose this to be politically correct, and not step on the toes of our foreign friends who fly. But lets get real here, instead of wasting time doing "random" searches, lets do a little more profiling. I have never flown out of the country, but I have heard stories from friends who have, and they say they were picked just because they were American. I think its funny how other countries can profile and nothing is said, but as soon as America is accused of profiling, everyone is considered racist, and let the lawsuits begin. I also think those X-Ray cameras are an invasion of privacy, and if the people of Florida do not have to be drug tested to be on welfare because its an invasion of privacy, then the citizens who choose to fly shouldn't have their privacy rights infringed.

    ReplyDelete